Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother's Day: May 10, 2009


This past Sunday was Mother's Day, and what a wonderful day it was. I am a firm believer that Mother's Day and Father's Day are days meant to be spent with your children, but not having to care for your children. Thankfully, Greg agrees! He knows he will be rewarded with the same treat on Father's Day in June. Emily decorated a beautiful cake at school for me, as well as a picture frame and silhouette. Sarah made me a beautiful picture, and everyone gave me a bag of scrapbook goodies. Greg made us bacon and french toast, and then we headed to church, as the girls were singing in the choir. Emily wore her First Communion dress, and she looked so beautiful.


















I really wanted a picture of me with each child, as well as a picture of me with all three together. As the mom, I have very few pictures of me with the kids. Most moms can agree that we are the historians of the family. I heard long ago, in 1995, at a Jeffrey Gaines concert with Marie Britton at the Music Farm, about how we have a tendency to edit our lives for scrapbooks. He talked about how people only put good memories and flattering pictures into the scrapbooks, leaving out the messy parts of life. I took this to heart, and anyone who scrapbooks with me knows I'll make a page for anything. Okay, I did skip a page on Robert's massive blisters . . . but I thought about it! I've scrapbooked the bathroom floor covered in toilet paper, surgeries, etch-a-sketch drawings, and countless other odd things that many people would just skip. The other day, I was looking at the baby books of two dear friends who are all grown up, and with the second child, I was amazed at the lack of photos with mom. I imagine she always had the camera, too. With that in mind, pictures with the kids were a must on Mother's Day! Jeff and I also had a picture taken with Mom, but I must wait for her to send it to me, as for reasons beyond me we only took one with her camera.

After church, we headed to Jeff and Kathe's house for some Mother's Day fun. Jeff, Kathe, Andrea, John, Danielle, Danielle's mom, Garrick, Mom, Mel, Lois, Joanna, Gene and the Bowden 5 all feasted like kings and queens on ribs and chicken cooked by John. The girls and Jeff entertained us with music, and Garrick and the girls played the Wii, of course! Daniel had his picture taken with Danielle for his Book of Daniels. She is the first female entry into the book.

In the spirit of mother photos, we had a picture taken of Joanna and Gene. Joanna and I have been dear friends since we were 4 or 5, and Gene is like a second mom to me. Richard likes to point out that for three weeks they were my parents when I travelled to England with them. I spent quite a bit of time at their house in my youth, and amazingly, they aren't sick of me yet!

After lunch, we had some delicious desserts prepared by the budding chef Andrea. She made both blackberry crisp and cheesecake. Sometimes I just can't believe that she is old enough to use the oven. She's still two in my mind's eye, blowing out candles on our 2nd and 22nd birthday cake. Jeff and Sarah played some duets for us, and then we headed home for Family Game Night! I foolishly picked Monopoly, and the game is still in play. Craziness!

No comments: