Monday, October 5, 2009

Let's Go Gamecocks! September 24, 2009

Upon discovering that I have never been to a college football game, my father, a season ticket holder and proud USC fan, despite his mother's love of Clemson (does anyone know why Grammie was a Clemson fan?), vowed to take me to a game. The game was set for Thursday, September 24th. Thursdays are my crazy day (chorus, piano/guitar, dance!), so I was doubly excited to go and miss all of that!

It was a 7:30 game, but we left at 2:30 so we could tailgate and see the sites. On the way up, in our fully decked out gamecock minivan, we made our way up I-26 with about a zillion other game-attendees. On the drive, we listened to the pre-game show, where I learned Ole Miss was ranked #4. I also checked out the prices for parking spaces. Craziness. Now, I have always heard that football in the south is more of a religion, but I never really understood that. I do now.

We set up our tailgate picnic and had some yummy dinner and snacks. I was amazed at the contraptions driving by us. We packed up our tailgate party then walked around to see the sights. Open container laws are flexible on game day, as Dad walked around with a beer in is hand. We scooped up free t-shirts, water, and other essentials. We saw the team arrive on charter buses in suits (for discipline, my father tells me). I ask how many are missing a math test tonight. He points out that Bradley mentioned classes were cancelled. Of course! Silly me.

We walked all around, and I was once again amazed at the merchandise. You can buy just about anything emblazoned with the Gamecock logo. Anything. Dad said that this was low-key since it was a Thursday night game, but there didn't seem to be anything low-key about it! Finally, we decided to head in after a lap around the stadium. On my next trip, I am going to count how many people are not wearing USC clothing. I saw three, I think, but I didn't start counting until we were walking around the stadium. Sorority girls were exempt, because they have to wear a black dress to the game. Why anyone would do this is beyond me. Also, I did not count the few people wearing Ole Miss stuff.

Getting into the stadium proved to be exciting. Dad's camera (which he always has taken for the past 7 years) was on a mono-pod. The girl said no tripods. We gave her a quick lesson in prefixes, but she did not care to be educated, and sent us to someone else. Well, three people later (still no understanding on the mono-tri meanings from the ticket takers), we finally found someone that understood the difference. Well, his problem was the "professional looking" camera. I pointed out that it said NOTHING about this on the tickets, which no one could read except for me with my eagle eyes, and his response was that "No machetes" was not listed either, but I couldn't bring one in. Hello, it says no weapons . . . but whatever. He went up one more level to the next guy, who was apologetic but firm that the camera could no go in, as it was "professional looking." No one could produce a single thing stating that "professional looking" cameras were not allowed, nor could anyone define what a "professional" camera was. He said no telephoto lenses (again, stated where?). Dad said, with a tone I can not duplicate in text, "It's not a telephoto lens, it's a 200mm." I was frustrated, Dad was calm. The new guy says "what do you need that much camera for?" My mind's reply: unfit to type. My actual reply: I'm an avid scrapbooker. In the end, he let us leave the offensive camera in some one's office, but we had to scoop it up within 15 minutes after the end of the game.

In the end, the security check guy when we finally went it would not have noticed if I had a person in my bag. He stuck his little dowel in the bag and sent me on my way. Note to Dad . . . keep the regular lens on your "professional looking" camera and stick the 200mm in the rain coat bag. Save yourself some grief.

We get in, scope out the new seats (he missed the first game), and meet his new seat neighbors. I am eager for the action, and boy, did I get it!! What a game! I think I aged about three years. It was very exciting, and for all the people saying they should have done this or that or scored more points . . . shut up and let me see you out there, okay? I was exhausted just watching! I loved the student section, which is just below Dad's seats, with the band, and off to his right. In the Game-Cocks, cheer, we were the Cocks. As each Ole Miss player was announced in the starting line-up, the scene was like this:
Announcer: Ole Miss Starting Line Backer Joe Schmo
USC students: Sucks!
Tacky, but oh-so-funny. They had other thing, too, but this is a family blog, folks.
The game was awesome. I learned quite a bit, too. The crowd was insane, and victory was ours. Did that get USC ranked? No. Whatever. Ole Miss went from #4 to #21, but USC . . . nothing. They are ranked now, after beating SC State. I will never understand the ranking system. After the game, I was impressed by the road situation. For our next hurricane, let's get those organizers here to evacuate. We were on the road (with camera in hand) in no time flat. We arrived home (while listening to the post-game show) at 1:00 am, tired, but filled with awesome memories of my first real college football game . . . where history was made at Williams-Brice Stadium!

2 comments:

Jenny and Kevin said...

We must get you to Lincoln, Nebraska on a Saturday when Memorial Stadium becomes the third largest city in the state. It's got USC beat by a mile

Jenny and Kevin said...

Actually it wasn't Jenny that said the previous comment, but Kevin. Why it says Jenny I have no idea since I created the account and our blog.